Simply put, this is the audio recording of the speech “Why we need a National Violence Prevention Hotline” that Paul Krauss MA LPC gave on May 17, 2019 at the Cultural Impact Conference held in Chicago, IL. This conference was hosted by the Chicago School of Professional Psychology.
"Learn about a bold new national effort to save innocent lives and curb violence in the United States by focusing on reaching potential offenders before they act: The National Violence Prevention Hotline."
Learn more and get involved with the National Violence Prevention Hotline project here:
Paul Krauss MA LPC is the Clinical Director of Health for Life Grand Rapids, home of The Trauma-Informed Counseling Center of Grand Rapids. Paul is also a Private Practice Psychotherapist, EMDRIA Consultant in Training (CIT), host of the Intentional Clinician podcast, Behavioral Health Consultant, Clinical Trainer, and Counseling Supervisor. Paul is now offering consulting for a few individuals and organizations. Paul is the creator of the National Violence Prevention Hotline (in progress) as well as the Intentional Clinician Training Program for Counselors. Questions? Call the office at 616-200-4433.
If you are looking for EMDRIA consulting groups, Paul Krauss MA LPC is now hosting weekly online and in-person groups. For details, click here.
Follow Health for Life Grand Rapids:
References utilized during the speech:
1. Sipsma, H. L., Canavan, M. E., Rogan, E., Taylor, L. A., Talbert-Slagle, K. M., & Bradley, E. H. (2017). Spending on social and public health services and its association with homicide in the USA: an ecological study. BMJ Open, 7(10). https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016379
5. Mental Health Myths and Facts, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, August 29, 2017. mentalhealth.gov/basics/mental-health-myths-facts. Accessed Dec 8, 2018.
6. Baer, D. (2016, July 08). The Dallas Police Force Is Evidence That 'De-escalation' Policing Works. Retrieved fromhttps://www.thecut.com/2016/07/deescalation-policing-works.html
7. Botelho, G., Kuo, V., & Levs, J. (2013, August 23). Antoinette Tuff hailed as 'true hero' out of Georgia school shooting. Retrieved fromhttps://www.cnn.com/2013/08/21/us/georgia-school-gunshots/index.html
- Cohen, M. A., Miller, T. R., & Rossman, S. B. (1994). The Costs and Consequences of Violent Behavior in the United States. In Understanding and Preventing Violence(Vol. 4, Consequences and Control, pp. 67-166). Washington, D.C.: The National Academies Press. doi:10.17226/4422
9. Dastagir, A. E. (2018, December 17). What actually happens when you call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Retrieved fromhttps://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/09/10/suicide-hotline-national-suicide-prevention-lifeline-what-happens-when-you-call/966151002/
- George, R. (2013, August 21). Antoinette Tuff: Meet the Woman Who Prevented a Mass School Shooting Yesterday. Retrieved fromhttps://mic.com/articles/60379/antoinette-tuff-meet-the-woman-who-prevented-a-mass-school-shooting-yesterday#.zOAJaFkR8
- Godlasky, A., & Dastagir, A. E. (2018, December 21). Suicide rate up 33% in less than 20 years, yet funding lags behind other top killers. Retrieved from https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/surviving-suicide/2018/11/28/suicide-prevention-suicidal-thoughts-research-funding/971336002/
- Gramlich, J. (2019, January 03). 5 facts about crime in the U.S. Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/01/03/5-facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/
- National Domestic Violence Hotline. (2019, February 27). National Domestic Violence Hotline Projects Three Million Calls One Year Earlier Than Expected. Retrieved from https://www.thehotline.org/2013/01/29/national-domestic-violence-hotline-projects-three-million-calls-one-year-earlier-than-expected/
- Roose, K. (2019, March 15). A Mass Murder of, and for, the Internet. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/technology/facebook-youtube-christchurch-shooting.html
- Reuters. (June 11). Suicide prevention programs call for more funding. Retrieved from https://www.foxnews.com/health/suicide-prevention-programs-call-for-more-funding
- The Peace Alliance. (n.d.). Statistics on Violence & Peace. Retrieved from https://peacealliance.org/tools-education/statistics-on-violence/
- WITW Staff. (2018, October 24). Quick-thinking New Jersey woman stops would-be school shooting in Kentucky, officials say. Retrieved from https://womenintheworld.com/2018/10/24/quick-thinking-new-jersey-woman-stops-would-be-school-shooting-in-kentucky-officials-say/
- Analysis | More than 228,000 students have experienced gun violence at school since Columbine. (n.d.). Retrieved May 09, 2019, from https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/local/school-shootings-database/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.53f6526dcba0
Audio clips utilized during the speech:
ABC News: The Horror Behind the Georgia School Shooting
Story at the end of the speech as read by Jack Kornfield
Original music, used:
"Shades of Currency" [Instrumental] from Archetypes by PAWL
“Low Flyin’ Bird from Mangy Love by Cass McCombs