This episode tells a personal story of my grandfather Wally Krauss’ life at the piano. I am helped by my father, brother, and some home recordings. My grandfather was an amateur pianist and organist who for 80 years shared his gift and talent with family, his many friends in various social circles, church groups, senior homes, and restaurants. My grandfather played piano daily into his 95th year of life. This episode will feature home recordings of his playing and storytelling. Also, my father describes growing up with such a musical father, and discusses research results which show that playing the piano influences brain development and plasticity for both children and elderly. Regarding psychology, we will also discuss how a positive attitude and outlook on life can influence your overall well-being. I also talk to my brother about grandfather’s influence on his life and how we are working to carry the torch of creating and playing music as part of our family heritage. I hope you enjoy it. This is the second episode in a series about music. The first episode was my interview with musician Kelley Stolz (episode 17).
Concepts Discussed: Immigrating to the USA from Germany, Learning English, A Positive Attitude, Practicing, Piano Playing, Brain Plasticity, The Elderly Staying Active, Youtube, Reddit, Bandcamp, Storytelling, Family Culture, etc.
Listen to more here: https://wallykrauss.bandcamp.com/
A new album will be released in 2019 featuring Tim and Paul called “Motel”
For the research on music and the brain, click here.
Featured Songs from Home Cassette & Video Recordings:
1. Ain’t Misbehavin As Performed by Wally Krauss
2. Selections from Bach As Performed by Wally Krauss
3. Selections from Bach As Performed by Wally Krauss
4. Till There was You As Performed by Wally Krauss
5. People Say As Performed by Wally Krauss
6. It Might as Well Be Spring As Performed by Wally Krauss
7.Cocktails for Two As Performed by Wally Krauss
8. Silent Night As Performed by Wally Krauss
9. Somebody Loves You As Performed by Wally Krauss
10 .The Christmas Song As Performed by Wally Krauss
11. Standchen As Performed by Wally Krauss
12. Bei Mir Bist Du Schon As Performed by Wally Krauss
13. I May Be Wrong As Performed by Wally Krauss
14. It Had to Be You As Performed by Wally Krauss
15. Blues In the Night As Performed by Wally Krauss
16. Till There Was You As Performed by Wally Krauss
17. Georgia on My Mind as Performed by Tim Carter
18. Rag Time Song Clip as Performed by Glen Coleman
19. Good Boy Young (From the album “Motel”- 2019) as Performed by Tim Krauss with Paul Krauss backing
20. Maple Leaf Rag As Performed by Wally Krauss
21. What are you doing for the Rest for Your Life? As Performed by Wally Krauss
22. Stars Fell on Alabama As Performed by Wally Krauss
23. Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer/ O Christmas Tree As Performed by Wally Krauss
24. I Got Nothing But Love As Performed by Wally Krauss
25. Stranger in Paradise As Performed by Wally Krauss
26. East of the Sun (and West of the Moon) As Performed by Wally Krauss
(Also featured: A News Clip from WILX-TV)
Paul Krauss MA LPC is the Clinical Director of Health for Life Grand Rapids, home of The Trauma-Informed Counseling Center of Grand Rapids. Paul is also a Private Practice Psychotherapist, EMDRIA Consultant in Training (CIT), host of the Intentional Clinician podcast, Behavioral Health Consultant, Clinical Trainer, and Counseling Supervisor. Paul is now offering consulting for a few individuals and organizations. Paul is the creator of the National Violence Prevention Hotline (in progress) as well as the Intentional Clinician Training Program for Counselors. Questions? Call the office at 616-200-4433.
If you are looking for EMDRIA consulting groups, Paul Krauss MA LPC is now hosting weekly online and in-person groups. For details, click here.
Follow Health for Life Grand Rapids: